Amanda-Users

Re: multiple gzip on same data!?

2005-06-29 12:32:35
Subject: Re: multiple gzip on same data!?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:18:22 -0600

--On June 29, 2005 9:57:48 AM -0600 Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com> wrote:

Now, why oh why is it doing *two* gzip operations on each set of data!?
It looks like the gzip --best isn't actually getting that much running
time, so is there something going on here that's faking me out, and it
isn't *actually* gzipping everything twice? :)

Nope it isn't. One is for the index, one for the data. I had the same 'huh?!' question (sort of) a while back since I do client side compression and still had gzip's running ;)

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler