Amanda-Users

Re: dump options

2005-06-28 13:32:18
Subject: Re: dump options
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:20:19 -0400
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:48:14AM -0500, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> Is there a way of having AMANDA pass dump command line options? I've got
> a few FreeBSD 5 boxes, and I'd like to be able to activate the
> filesystem snapshot feature of dump.

Not built in to the system.

Generally the way this is accomplished is to replace the
backup program (dump in this case) with a wrapper script.

The script is called by amanda, then analyzes the args,
modifies them as needed and calls the real backup program.

Because this might be a possibility in the future,
I generally configure amanda to use dummy locations
for dump and tar, like /var/local/amanda/libexec/amgnutar.
I then put a copy of the real dump/gnutar at those locations.
When a wrapper is needed, say for gnutar, the wrapper becomes
amgnutar and it calls the copy of gnutar renamed amgnutar.real.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)