Amanda-Users

not an amanda tape - but it was

2005-06-29 03:07:22
Subject: not an amanda tape - but it was
From: Rebecca Dridan <sysadmin AT ridley.unimelb.edu DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:34:19 +1000
I hope someone can help me with an odd amanda problem. I've searched the net and archives, but haven't seen anyone else with this problem yet.

Last week I had a fully working Amanda setup on a BSD server, with a daily and a weekly set of tapes. This week, when I put the next tape in, and run amcheck daily, I get:

ERROR: /dev/nsa0: not an amanda tape
      (expecting tape Daily03 or a new tape)

That is happening with _all_ tapes I've checked, daily or weekly. The two sets are stored in different places and I really can't accept the fact that they all died at the same time. The only thing that happened between amanda working and not working is that the server was rebooted.

I labelled a new tape, and flushed a backup to it, and that tape appears to work, but that doesn't solve my problem of getting to my old backups, or of whether I have to label a new set of tapes every time the server is rebooted. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for? Even dd is not finding anything on the old tapes, making me scared to check too many of them, in case the act of checking them is in some way wiping them....

Hope someone can give me a clue.

Rebecca