Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Library Recommendations

2005-06-23 16:19:47
Subject: Re: Tape Library Recommendations
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:12:00 -0600

--On June 23, 2005 3:50:57 PM -0400 Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu> wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:

LTO, DLT, S-LTO, etc all have the huge advantage of the same physical
form  factor.  So 'upgrading' a DLT library to LTO, or S-LTO is just
adding/upgrading the tape drives in it.  DLT (sometimes called
Compactape IV)  has a long history and is a good reliable medium, with a
lot of vendors  selling drives and

Yeah that's what you'd think.  I used to run an Overland loader with
DLT4000.  The thing was rock-solid, so when the time came I tried to
swap out the drive for a DLT7000.  Nope, Overland wouldn't hear of it.
They insisted I had to start all over with a new loader.  (Yeah, much
more $$, too.)  Turned out at least part of the problem was that the
SCSI version of the 4000 loader wasn't fast enough for the 7000 drive.

Well...mostly I guess. There are some exceptions like when the SCSI Bus is shared 'tween the loader/changer and the drives and the loader/changer uses HVD instead of the now more usual LVD (and usually faster LVD at that) variants.

-Mitch

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler