Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Library Recommendations

2005-06-23 15:19:03
Subject: Re: Tape Library Recommendations
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:53:07 -0600

--On June 23, 2005 6:17:26 PM +0000 James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz> wrote:

I am looking recommendations for a tape library device that works well
with amanda. Right now the client is using 8mm tapes, so I'd be
interested in other feedback in regards to other types of media (LTO,
DLT, etc.) and pros and cons of each.

LTO, DLT, S-LTO, etc all have the huge advantage of the same physical form factor. So 'upgrading' a DLT library to LTO, or S-LTO is just adding/upgrading the tape drives in it. DLT (sometimes called Compactape IV) has a long history and is a good reliable medium, with a lot of vendors selling drives and