Amanda-Users

Re: Archival backup problems

2005-06-21 17:23:59
Subject: Re: Archival backup problems
From: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:11:34 -0700

Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 01:26:49PM -0700, Kevin Dalley enlightened us:
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  Setting record to no seems like a good idea.
>>
>> However, dumpcycle set to 0 doesn't work for me.  amdump tries to run
>> a full backup each day.  I only use 1 or 2 tapes per amdump, and I
>> need 6-10 tapes for a complete archival backup.  So I need a few days
>> to complete an archival backup.  Setting dumpcycle to 0 seems force
>> the full backups to start all over again each day, which means that
>> DLEs are repeated.
>>

> Do you not have enough holding disk space to hold the entire dump set? You
> didn't say how big your tapes were, or how much data was getting dumped. If
> you have enough holding space, you can run the amdump, let it spool to
> holding disk, then just amflush until you've got everything to tape.
>
> The other option is that amdump can take hostnames as options, so you could
> run the job with a select number of hosts over a few day period.

No.  I don't have enough disk space to hold the entire dump at once.
Sorry for not mentioning it.  There's enough space for the daily
amdump, but not for a complete archival dump.

Adding the hostname (and disk for the Windows machines) should solve
my problem.  Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin AT kelphead DOT org