Amanda-Users

difference between --with-portrange and --with-tcpportrange ?

2005-06-21 16:20:34
Subject: difference between --with-portrange and --with-tcpportrange ?
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:00:06 -0500
I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why I couldn't backup a few clients even though all the checks seemed to run OK. Sure enough, turned out to be a firewall/iptables issue ... my amanda server was allowed in on ports 10080, 10082, 10083 but NOT on any other ports so once the client ran the estimate and started listening on random tcp ports, the amanda server could never connect to it.

Anyway, I read through the mailing list and found that setting specific ports was what I needed and on testing I found that this worked. My question is in the build options, what's the difference between --with-portrange and --with-tcpportrange ??? When I do ./configure --help I see:

--with-portrange=low,high bind unreserved TCP server sockets to ports within this range unlimited --with-tcpportrange=low,high bind unreserved TCP server sockets to ports within this range unlimited

Which appear to be the exact the same thing ... I read through the portusage document and that didn't make things any clearer.

Oscar