Amanda-Users

Re: HP Storage Works 1/8 Tape Autoloader

2005-06-21 13:13:21
Subject: Re: HP Storage Works 1/8 Tape Autoloader
From: "Brian E. Seppanen" <seppy AT chartermi DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:27:44AM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
Has anyone been able to configure the HP Storage Works 1/8 Tape Autoloader
for use with amanda as a tape library.   I'm able to access data from
individual tapes by manually loading them and accessing them as
/dev/rmt/0, but I'm not sure if there is a device id that I can use to
access the actual tape library portion.

I'm running Solaris 9, amanda-2.4.4p3.

In st.conf, by default, the eight low scsi id's are scanned
but only for lun 0.  On my unit, the library is lun 1 of the
same scsi id as the drive.  So it would not be seen with the
default config.  As I have to edit it anyway, I comment out
the id's that do not contain tape drives (minor boot speed up)
and add lines for lun 1 for the remainder.

If you want to (or need to) have the sgen (scsi generic?) driver
used for the changer you may have to edit the sgen.conf file.

Thanks for the info.   That's just what I need to get it working.

I did the following

I edited /kernel/drv/st.conf and eliminated the line for target 4 which is the autoloader and I'm going to grab that with sgen.
# name="st" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;

modify sgen.conf uncomment target=4
name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;

mv /etc/path_to_inst to /etc/path_to_inst20050621
reboot -- -ras
rebuild path_to_inst

after rebooting I got the following info from
prtconf | grep -C10 "HP"

    Hardware properties:
                    name='inquiry-revision-id' type=string items=1
                        value='N12r'
                    name='inquiry-product-id' type=string items=1
                        value='ThinStor AutoLdr'
                    name='inquiry-vendor-id' type=string items=1
                        value='HP'
                    name='inquiry-device-type' type=int items=1
                        value=00000008
    Hardware properties:
                   name='inquiry-revision-id' type=string items=1
                        value='F78V'
                    name='inquiry-product-id' type=string items=1
                        value='Ultrium 2-SCSI'
                    name='inquiry-vendor-id' type=string items=1
                        value='HP'
                    name='inquiry-device-type' type=int items=1
                        value=00000001

so I modified /etc/sgen.conf as follows

device-type-config-list="changer";
inquiry-config-list=    "HP",   "ThinStor AutoLdr",
                        "HP",   "Ultrium 2-SCSI";

mv /etc/path_to_inst /etc/path_to_inst20050621
reboot -- -ras
rebuild /etc/path_to_inst on boot

I ended up with /dev/scsi/changer/c0t4d0

I had to modify the permissions on the device file to permit group read and write for the sys group. Amanda belongs to sys group.

Set up my config to use chg-zd-mtx, and now to work out all of those daily details .

Thanks for the insight. That helped me get on the path I needed to go on.

Brian Seppanen
seppy AT chartermi DOT net
608.826.1464