Amanda-Users

Re: [off-topip] Better Backup Media

2005-06-21 05:00:07
Subject: Re: [off-topip] Better Backup Media
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: Fabricio Luiz Machado <soproman AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:41:04 +0300
Fabricio Luiz Machado wrote:

Some of my DDS-4 tapes are bad (I/O error).
So... i´m thinking if these tapes are trustworthy... :-/
Are there another better solution, that I can trust more than DDS-4 ?
Maybe DLT ?

Many people say DLT is better than DDS, but I personally have had some very bad experiences with DLT *drives*, so I've ditched that technology and never want to touch it again. Using LTO has been nothing but joy these past 2 years.

I still have one DDS4 drive in service and it's been quite reliable - you just need to use the cleaning tape regularly. But some DDS drives *have* died on me.

--
Toomas Aas