Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to Hard Drive

2005-06-16 18:32:44
Subject: Re: Backup to Hard Drive
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:23:15 -0400
On Thursday 16 June 2005 17:50, Mike Delaney wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:24:02PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:52, Cody Holland wrote:
>> >I'm a newb to Amanda, and would like to backup everything to a
>> > server running Raid0.  I'm sure this is very possible, I just
>> > cannot find any docs on it.  Any help would be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> However, under recovery situations where you may be doing a bare
>> metal rebuild, I'd be a bit spooked of a raid as there is a
>> possibility under those total disaster conditions, that the raid
>> may not be available without a lot of pre-configuring of the md
>> driver.
>
>I'd be more worried about using a RAID-0 device to store my backups:
>loose any one disk and the volume is toast, and each disk in the
> stripe increases the likelyhood of a failure.  Compared to that,
> having to configure a software RAID driver to access a pre-existing
> volume when rebuilding the OS on the server is a mere annoyance.

Humm, I didn't notice the raid0 above.  Yup, thats a disaster looking
for a place to happen, so I'll second the antiraid(0 at least)
sentiments.  Definitely a bad dog, no bisquit scenario.

As it is, if I lose that $120 commodity drive, I've lost my /var
partition and all my backups.  But a 2 hour drive to Circuit City for
another (probably even bigger than 200GB), 20 minutes to install it,
10 minutes to fdisk it & mke3fs it, a run of my script to re-create
the amandatapes partitions contents, and I'm back in business after a
4 day dumpcycle to get fulls of everything again.  I could even
reassign /var to another smaller unused partition on hda temporarily
and continue while I'm driving that 70 mile round trip to get the
other drives replacement.

I'd moved /var to a seperate spindle because I once had a write error
that made the whole disk read-only (bleeding edge kernel early in the
2.6 series).  The error couldn't be logged, so it was a chicken and
egg situation.  Moving /var is hopefully insurance against a repeat
of that scenario.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: