Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to Hard Drive

2005-06-16 17:57:48
Subject: Re: Backup to Hard Drive
From: Mike Delaney <mdelan AT lusars DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:50:04 -0700
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:24:02PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:52, Cody Holland wrote:
> >I'm a newb to Amanda, and would like to backup everything to a
> > server running Raid0.  I'm sure this is very possible, I just
> > cannot find any docs on it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> However, under recovery situations where you may be doing a bare metal
> rebuild, I'd be a bit spooked of a raid as there is a possibility
> under those total disaster conditions, that the raid may not be
> available without a lot of pre-configuring of the md driver.

I'd be more worried about using a RAID-0 device to store my backups:
loose any one disk and the volume is toast, and each disk in the stripe
increases the likelyhood of a failure.  Compared to that, having to configure
a software RAID driver to access a pre-existing volume when rebuilding the
OS on the server is a mere annoyance.