Amanda-Users

Re: WinXp home archive bit troubles

2005-06-06 04:36:27
Subject: Re: WinXp home archive bit troubles
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Bill McCandless <tap6_32 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:03:53 +0200
Bill McCandless wrote:
Hello,
I'm using Amanda 2.4.5 on a Fedora core 2 machine.
I back up that, plus two windows clients. The smbtar
method is used for windows.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "smbtar".
The normal way is to use smbclient (you get this by using
program "GNUTAR" and using a dislistentry in the form:

 unixhost-with-smbclient  //PCname/sharename dumptype

And that setup does use the builtin tar in smbclient.

You could also mount (with smb or nfs) the PC filesystem
on the server and then with dump that filesystem.  Mounting
with smb however gives bogus "ctime" values and thus
incremental backups do not work as intended.  I just
recently heard about mounting with the nfs-protocol.
I have no experience with that.

I found the Archive bits
are set on ALL files after backups. The root cause
is setting sharing the drive from Xp Home NTFS
file system: all archive bits are set at that time.

I assume you are using the normal smbclient with builtin
tar.  I do not have the problem of archive bits being set.
However, I do not share the root of the C-drive.  But I
do have a host where the root of a D-drive is backed up.
To be able to reset the archive-bit when a full backup is
done, you should add the smbclient-user should have
administrator priviledges on the machine.

This is *not* a bug with Amanda or Samba.  Has anyone
else had the problem when sharing the root of an
NTFS drive read-only on Win Xp Home ?

We have only Win2000 and WinXP Pro clients.  I didn't
test on XP Home.

I looked on Mskb and Google, and could not find a
reference.
I'll attempt to file an MS bug (hah!) if others
confirm
the issue.