Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda backup of Read-Only NFS shares

2005-06-01 12:57:49
Subject: Re: Amanda backup of Read-Only NFS shares
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:42:38 +0200
Peter Mueller wrote:
Hi Mark!

I have a read-only NFS share provided by a Windows 2000 server machine and I want to back it up with my AMANDA cycle. I keep getting these errors though:

? gtar: ./foo/bar: Warning: Cannot stat: Permission denied
? gtar: ./foo/baz: Warning: Cannot stat: Permission denied

Is there anything I can do to effectively back up these files without getting these warnings, a tar parameter perhaps (I couldn't find on in the man page for tar)? Setting the NFS share to be read-write isn't an option.

As you allready wrote, its read-only so tar cant set inode dates etc.
So you wont be able to do propper incremental backups.
You could baybe do full backups every amanda run, but as I dont use
this, I am not aware who to propper configure this.

AFAIK tar does not set any inode dates (except if you specify
--atime-preserve, which is bad anyway.  The fact that the atime does
change on readwrite devices is done by the OS itself, and not by tar.
On a readonly device the atime does not change, and tar still works.
Actually, I do a lot of backup of readonly mounted filesystems (snapshots) just to avoid the atime modification (and of course because a snapshot is a stable filesystem during backup).

Back to the real problem now.

I've never used (recently = the last 5 years) NFS from a Windows server,
but could it be that this has somehow to do with the root-squash NFS
mapping:  root on a client is mapped to nobody on the server: that means
that files that are only accessible by root (whatever that is on a
Windows Server?) are not accessible on the client, hence the "Permission
denied" error.
What are the permissions of ./foo/bar above as seen from the client?

On Unix a file with 000 permission can still be read by root.  That is
not so on MS Windows: there you can remove administrator from the
access rights, resulting in not being able to read a file.  What are
the access rights on those files?

I'm not familiar with the semantics of a Windows NFS server on the
special system files USER.DAT, SYSTEM.DAT etc, that are always locked
by windows itself, and cannot be read. What is the real name of "./foo/bar"? Are they MSWindows special files?