Amanda-Users

Re: Find tapetype parameter

2005-06-01 11:18:37
Subject: Re: Find tapetype parameter
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:53:07 -0400
On Wednesday 01 June 2005 09:18, Dominique Arpin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I will like to know how to find the good parameter for my tape
> backup.
>
>We have a Certance LTO-1 (CL 200).
>
>I found the config for a IBM LTO tape driver:
>
>define tapetype IBM-LTO3580 {
>
>    comment "IBM LTO Ultrium 3580 (Hardware Compression off)"
>    length 100608 mbytes
>    filemark 0 kbytes
>    speed 13120 kps
>
>}
>
>But, I don't know if the speed is correct for my tape.  So, what is
> the command to find the right speed for my tape drive?
>
>thanks, and sorry for my bad english

Speed is a non-entity here, amanda doesn't use it.  It just pours the
data thru the pipe as fast as the pipe can dispose of it.  So the
data will move as fast as the smallest pipe can move it.

Speed only exists to give you a figure that might be used to estimate,
on a swag basis, how long it will take to backup x bytes of data.
But its still pure swag, where swag=Scientific Wild Arse Guess :-)
Most will be some fraction slower.

See the manpage for amtapetype and generate your own if you'd like,
its prefereable IMO.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: