Amanda-Users

I need a clarification here: can amrecover be used to restore a file dumped with the vendor dump program ?

2005-05-18 10:43:13
Subject: I need a clarification here: can amrecover be used to restore a file dumped with the vendor dump program ?
From: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:31:19 -0400
According to the book: UNIX Backup and recovery  by Curtis Preston, on
page 179 it says: "amrecover should not be used to do full filesystem
recovery with vendor restore tools, but does work with gnu-tar"

Does this mean that I cannot use amrecover to restore a set of files
from a DLE that is being backed up with (ufs)dump ?

In other words, does amanda indexing only work if you use gnu-tar ?

If not, how does amanda mange to get an index/listing of the ufsdump
or dump contents ?

Again, thanks