Amanda-Users

Re: Annoying problem in amrecover

2005-05-18 09:57:24
Subject: Re: Annoying problem in amrecover
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:48:20 +0200
Guy Dallaire wrote:
Whil using amrecover, if I don an "ls" in the amrecover shell, even if
there are only 2 lines, I have to press "q" to get rid of a pager
(END) prompt. Is this normal ? Is there a way to tell the pager that
my terminal has "y" lines ? If so, what is the correct way on solaris
AND on Linux.

From this description I presume your pager is "less" on Linux.
"man less" learns me that you need the "--quit-at-eof" option, e.g.
by setting "LESS=--quit-at-eof; export LESS" in your .profile.
Or maybe you even need "LESS=--QUIT-AT-EOF; export LESS", see the
man page for the difference.

On Solaris "less" not standard software, unless you installed it.
There the pager probably is "more", which already quits at eof of file.

The pager normally does it's best to find out how many lines your
terminal has, given the right TERM-variable.  Even terminals with
elastic boundaries (e.g. xterms) work.
But I have to admit that on Solaris the settings are not always correct.
You can fix it quickly by settings an environement var to e.g. LINES=24
(and export it).

PS. this has nothing to do with amrecover, who uses whatever PAGER
you have set.