Amanda-Users

amcheck say it's ok, but backup fails

2005-05-17 10:44:19
Subject: amcheck say it's ok, but backup fails
From: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:35:20 +0100
I'm adding a remote (gtisr) DLE to my disklist. The amcheck -c say
it's all ok, but when I run amdump it fails:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  gtisr      /boot lev 0 FAILED 20050517[could not connect to gtisr]
  gtisr      /usr lev 0 FAILED 20050517[could not connect to gtisr]
  omni       /var/spool/imap/user/ag lev 0 STRANGE
  omni       /var/spool/imap/user/nt lev 0 STRANGE
  omni       / lev 0 STRANGE
  gtisr      / lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

No further reference to gtisr is found in the report. Amanda works ok
for the local disks. A sample DLE is

gtisr / {
  comment "damiao base system"
  tar-compress
  exclude file "./usr/*"
  holdingdisk no
}

(the "holdingdisk no" is redundant; it was copy&pasted from the server
DLE; I've just deleted it)

The .amandahosts is what I suppose it should be:

omni.isr.ist.utl.pt amanda

at amanda home directory at the client.

The /tmp/amanda debug file make little reference to gtisr:

gtisr /
could not open index directory "/var/amanda/ISR/index/gtisr/_/"
gtisr /boot
could not open index directory "/var/amanda/ISR/index/gtisr/_boot/"
gtisr /usr
could not open index directory "/var/amanda/ISR/index/gtisr/_usr/"

I could create the /var/amanda/ISR/index/gtisr directory by hand, but
I noticed the ones of the localhost were created by amdump
automatically (or a child of it). So I suppose the problem does not
lie there.

What could be wrong?

Cheers,

Rodrigo

--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
***  Web page: http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda