Amanda-Users

Re: Levels

2005-05-12 16:26:51
Subject: Re: Levels
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:05:46 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> I'm still having a hard time figuring out how "levels" work.
>
> Can someone confirm to me that each time amanda is run, it will backup
> a file if it has been modified during the day (or since the last run)

Yes.

> In other words: does amanda guarantee that if a file is modified after
> a dump, it will be included in the next dump, whatever the "level" is
> used ?

Yes. Amanda always backs up all modified files.

The question is: does she always back up all _unmodified_ files? Here the
answer is: no, only when doing a level 0 backup.

Level 0 means a full backup (all modified and unmodified files).
Level n (n > 0) means a backup of all files that were modified since the last
level n-1.

Hope this helps...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds