Amanda-Users

Re: Levels

2005-05-12 16:26:51
Subject: Re: Levels
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:00:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Guy Dallaire wrote:

I'm still having a hard time figuring out how "levels" work.

Can someone confirm to me that each time amanda is run, it will backup
a file if it has been modified during the day (or since the last run)

In other words: does amanda guarantee that if a file is modified after
a dump, it will be included in the next dump, whatever the "level" is
used ?

No.  Amanda guarantees it will take all data your backup program
sends it, put it onto the tape, and get it back off again, assuming
the tape is still good at that time.

Whether or not a modified file gets included in the next dump is
the responsibility of whatever backup program you tell amanda to
invoke.  Typically dump or gnutar, but folks have managed to glue
in a number of others as well.  Amanda doesn't "do backups", she
only oversees the process.

-Mitch