Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?

2005-05-06 07:26:40
Subject: Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 13:06:27 +0200
Hi, Peter,

on Freitag, 06. Mai 2005 at 10:36 you wrote to amanda-users:

PM> Hi Bert!

>> Amanda ? Control other processes - Mini How-To

PM> Nice thing, since most amanda admins come to this point sooner
PM> or later ...

Your howto will go into the docs as I told you some time ago, I am
currently converting it to Docbook/XML.

>> Step 2 : Rebuild Amanda so that it uses your newly created script.

PM> I think this is the main design flaw!
PM> Why is the full path to tools like tar compiled into amanda?
PM> It should be configurable, where tar is placed and how it is called etc!

It's easy to say that, it is not that easy to realize this.
Patches welcome, as always ...

PM> I dont like to compile amanda on my own. This is why I pay for a
PM> Linux distribution like SuSE where they take care of fiddling around
PM> with all the cross-dependencies of hundreds of great Open Source
PM> projects to make them work as a consistent system.

A compromise might be using SRPMs and editing the spec-file there.

PM> O.k. this may be not the problem of the maintainer of a single
PM> project but anyway I think the path and name of a program used
PM> by an executable that is NOT part of the project should be
PM> configurable for the administrator without compiling ....

If the wrapper around gnutar behaves like gnutar you might also
replace the binary with the wrapper ... no compiling needed then. But
you get other side-effects maybe ...
--
best regards,
Stefan