Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?

2005-05-06 05:03:18
Subject: Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?
From: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:36:50 +0200
Hi Bert!

Amanda – Control other processes - Mini How-To

Nice thing, since most amanda admins come to this point sooner
or later ...

Step 2 : Rebuild Amanda so that it uses your newly created script.

Download the sources, untar them to a directory. I'm sure there are lots of documents already available on how to do this, so I won't go in to too much detail.

I think this is the main design flaw!
Why is the full path to tools like tar compiled into amanda?
It should be configurable, where tar is placed and how it is called etc!

I dont like to compile amanda on my own. This is why I pay for a
Linux distribution like SuSE where they take care of fiddling around
with all the cross-dependencies of hundreds of great Open Source
projects to make them work as a consistent system.

O.k. this may be not the problem of the maintainer of a single
project but anyway I think the path and name of a program used
by an executable that is NOT part of the project should be
configurable for the administrator without compiling ....

Bye, Peter
WOTLmade