Amanda-Users

Re: estimate timeouts

2005-05-05 14:51:52
Subject: Re: estimate timeouts
From: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 13:26:09 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:10:10AM -0500, Jim Summers wrote:

McDonagh, Joe wrote:

Or you might try the very latest release of amanda which has
new features for estimating the size of a DLE.

The 2.4.5 options of server and calcsize are very fast.

Fast is good.  Fast and 'accurate' is much better.

In your experience are the estimates a good match for the
actual amount of data being backed up, full and incrementals?

After generating a quick perl to extract info from a sendsize.XXXXX.debug and comparing it to the ORIG-kB column in the mail report, it appears that calcsize is sort of a conservative estimator. It is very accurate on the level 0 and tends to overestimate the level 1,2,3,4.

The current run I had only had two level 0 and a bunch of level 1. So I will monitor for a few days more and see how the level 0 estimates do when I have more data.

If you think the list would like to see the data then let me know and I will send it out. I didn't want to in-line a bunch of data. Is it ok to send attachments to this list?

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma