Amanda-Users

Re: estimate timeouts

2005-05-04 11:35:03
Subject: Re: estimate timeouts
From: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 10:10:10 -0500
McDonagh, Joe wrote:
Yea, you're right, there are tons of small files... I would be backing
up this client directly, however it's not actually a unix system, but an
EMC data storage system. So I guess my choice is either to upgrade or
increase etimeout...

When working with lots and lots of small files, walking the
directory tree is a slow, expensive activity.  If you must
do things that way, live with it and further increase etimeout.

Two alternatives I might suggest, don't nfs, backup the client
directly.  nfs just slows things down even more.

Or you might try the very latest release of amanda which has
new features for estimating the size of a DLE.

The 2.4.5 options of server and calcsize are very fast.

With calcsize I am currently attempting resolve a possible bug with --exclude-from / exclude list option. Where it appears to be not excluding one entry in my exclude file but it is excluding the other entries in the file. Hmmmmm.

Perhaps a
better term would be guesstimating the size.  I've not used
them, but I suspect that if the file system is fairly
consistant in its size and level of change the new techniques
would work very well.  If I ever get a working tape drive
again I plan to try them out.

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma