Amanda-Users

Re: amreport

2005-02-28 13:07:36
Subject: Re: amreport
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:57:21 -0500
On Monday 28 February 2005 09:52, ddaasd wrote:
>The idea with 3 groups sounds better.
>
>I have 2 more questions for this scenario:
>
>1. If my dumpcycle=5, runspercycle=5 then I need tapecycle to be
> minimum 6 (runspercycle+1). These are for one group  (for one week
> - only weekdays). If I would have 3 groups then it seems I need 18
> tapes. Now I have only 16. So we have to order 2 more tapes. Am I
> right?

Dumpcycle is in elapsed days, so if you want a weekly schedule then
dumpcycle is either 7 days or 1 week, you can spec it either way.

runspercycle is how many times it gets run in one dumpcycle.  So for 3
groups, you'll need 15 tapes, 16 of which you already have.

>2. How do I label the 5 tapes from every group? Do I label them the
> same and change them all on weekend or Monday morning?

No.  Due to holidays, people taking monday off to recover from a
hangover, whatever, they will not long stay in synch with such a
scheme.  Understand that amanda will not reuse a tape until tapecycle
runs have expired, bringing the first tape back around the loop and
elligible for re-use.  This is the mechanism that saves our butts
when we forget to change the tape.  Make sure the holding disk has
enough non-reserved space to accomodate say 2 backup runs, or 300% of
a single tapes size with a reserved setting of 30%, and then they can
be flushed, preferably one run per tape, thereby standing a small
chance of keeping things somewhere near your personal idea of a
schedule.

Therefore, the tapes simply need to be labeled as DailySet1-01 thru
DailySet1-15.  Trying to make amanda fit your version of neat will
make you feel a bit like a banty rooster encountering a full sized
rooster.  Just set it up, and let amanda do its thing.  It does it
quite well.

>Best regards,
>ddaas
>
>> You and Gene seem to have settled on 7,5,1, and 15 or 16 for
>> tapecycle.
>>
>> Given that, for offsite I'd suggest you consider your tapes as
>> groups of 5, i.e. 3 groups.  One group will be in use, one group
>> offsite, and the final group will be either the next group to be
>> in use or the group that was most recently in use.  The former
>> ensures you are ready to switch groups over the weekend, the
>> latter keeps some more recent backups on-site for recovery.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: