Amanda-Users

re: amreport

2005-02-28 09:57:02
Subject: re: amreport
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:52:26 +0100
The idea with 3 groups sounds better.

I have 2 more questions for this scenario:

1. If my dumpcycle=5, runspercycle=5 then I need tapecycle to be minimum 6 (runspercycle+1). These are for one group (for one week - only weekdays). If I would have 3 groups then it seems I need 18 tapes. Now I have only 16. So we have to order 2 more tapes. Am I right?

2. How do I label the 5 tapes from every group? Do I label them the same and change them all on weekend or Monday morning?

Best regards,
ddaas

You and Gene seem to have settled on 7,5,1, and 15 or 16 for tapecycle.

Given that, for offsite I'd suggest you consider your tapes as groups
of 5, i.e. 3 groups.  One group will be in use, one group offsite,
and the final group will be either the next group to be in use or
the group that was most recently in use.  The former ensures you
are ready to switch groups over the weekend, the latter keeps some
more recent backups on-site for recovery.