Amanda-Users

Re: Automating the labeling of tapes

2005-02-20 02:24:07
Subject: Re: Automating the labeling of tapes
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:10:16 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 at 11:12pm, Josef Wolf wrote

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:30:08AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 at 8:00am, Kevin Alford wrote
> >
> > > It holds 15 tapes with another slot for my cleaning tape.  I would like
> > > to setup Amanda to automatically label my tapes, so that I can have a
> > > totally lights out backup environment.  I have not been able to install
> >
> > You only need to label tapes once.  So automating it isn't really all that
> > great a need.
>
> Depends on what information you want to have on the labels.  If you are
> happy with just the name of the tape, then labelling them once will be OK.
> But some people want more information on the label.  For my part, I want to
> have much more information on the label.
>
> I want information like:
>
> - which DLEs (on which levels) are contained on the tape?
> - which tapes will I need in addition to the newest one to do a full restore
>   for a specific DLE.
> - How much data is contained on a DLE and how long did it take to write it to
>   tape (this gives a good estimation on how much disk/time I will need to
>   restore)
>
> and much more.
>
> If you really want this information on the label, you will need to print
> labels after every backup.  To see what I mean, please take a look on the
> amandatape script that I posted about one year ago to this list.

We're talking about two different things here.  The electronic label a
tape has is only done once, by the 'amlabel' command, and automating it
would be a bit silly.  A paper label containing the info you want can be
printed automagically if you specify a lbl-templ in the tapetype in
amanda.conf -- there are several to choose from.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering