Amanda-Users

Re: Automating the labeling of tapes

2005-02-19 17:42:51
Subject: Re: Automating the labeling of tapes
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:12:13 +0100
On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:30:08AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 at 8:00am, Kevin Alford wrote
>
> > It holds 15 tapes with another slot for my cleaning tape.  I would like
> > to setup Amanda to automatically label my tapes, so that I can have a
> > totally lights out backup environment.  I have not been able to install
>
> You only need to label tapes once.  So automating it isn't really all that
> great a need.

Depends on what information you want to have on the labels.  If you are
happy with just the name of the tape, then labelling them once will be OK.
But some people want more information on the label.  For my part, I want to
have much more information on the label.

I want information like:

- which DLEs (on which levels) are contained on the tape?
- which tapes will I need in addition to the newest one to do a full restore
  for a specific DLE.
- How much data is contained on a DLE and how long did it take to write it to
  tape (this gives a good estimation on how much disk/time I will need to
  restore)

and much more.

If you really want this information on the label, you will need to print
labels after every backup.  To see what I mean, please take a look on the
amandatape script that I posted about one year ago to this list.

--
No software patents!
-- Josef Wolf -- jw AT raven.inka DOT de --