Amanda-Users

Re: Can tapes be grouped for different types of back-up?

2005-02-14 01:56:44
Subject: Re: Can tapes be grouped for different types of back-up?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:49:53 -0500
On Sunday 13 February 2005 16:43, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>Until recently I had a DDS3 tape streamer. Then it broke down a few
>weeks ago and I bought a DDS4 tape streamer. I therefore have a lot
> of DDS3 tapes which I like to use for incremental back-ups because
> the new tape streamer can also handle DDS3 tapes. I will then ear
> mark the DDS4 tapes for full back-ups. Is that possible and how can
> that be accomplished?

Not with only one config setup.  And with 2, then the one you would
like to use for incrementals doesn't know anything about the fulls,
so it gets a tummy ache.

Amanda's record keeping is going to make that difficult.  From my own
experience with DDS2, if the DDS3's have more than 20 passes on them,
I think I'd retire them one by one, replacing them with DDS4's made
by dd'ing the label block from the DDS3, and dd'ing it back to the
DDS4 tapes, thereby keeping amanda out of the loop until such time as
all the DDS3's have been cycled out.  At that point, change the
tapetype by running an amtapetype to make a new tapetype descriptor
and edit its use into your amanda config.

I just had an intrigueing idea though.  What if there were two
identical config dirs setup, each subdir for the data amanda keeps
was lndir'ed to yet a third dir which was then the common dir for all
of amanda's data.  The only real files in the two config dirs would
be the amanda.conf, and the tapelist.  It seems like a bit of hassle
for the initial setup, but could anyone throw a showstopper into this
picture?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: