Amanda-Users

Amanda security +Kerberos

2005-02-08 16:30:01
Subject: Amanda security +Kerberos
From: "Gil Naveh" <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:13:57 -0500
hi,

I am a little confused regarding adding security to Amanda.
In the past I posted a question regarding adding security to Amanda -
We have a Solaris 9 machine which is Amanda server and a remote Solaris 9
machine which is Amanda client.
We need the data that is transferring from the client to the server be
secure.
People have kindly answered my question but I am still confused.
Some have suggested to use sftp or ssh - bring those files to the server and
then backing it up locally.
However, by implementing this technique I am over loading the network -
because I have to ssh or sftp all files daily instead of letting Amanda get
only the changes (level 0,1 etc). But is there a way to implement ssh/sftp
with Amanda?

Anyway I am trying to implement Kerberos and I have a few questions about
it.
I am trying to follow the documentation in Amanda for kerberos - so far I
downloaded the file amanda-krb4-2.4.0p1.tar.gz - I unzipped it and tared it
(tar xvf). Yet I don't know what the next step should be - configure+make???
Additionally the KERBEROS doc for Amanda under the INSTALLATION section
says:
 "2. INSTALLATION
   The kerberized Amanda service uses a different port on the client hosts.
   The /etc/services line is:

   kamanda      10081/udp "

Then what should be the host on the server site?
Finally how can I test that Kerberos encryption works with Amanda?

Please note that our Amanda server and client are Solaris 9 boxes but in the
future we might implement it on Win boxes (is it feasible to implement
Kerberos on Win box?)

Thanks much,
gil