Amanda-Users

Re: AMLABEL - might be a bug in amtapetype

2005-02-08 12:49:05
Subject: Re: AMLABEL - might be a bug in amtapetype
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:08:19 -0500
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 05:53:43PM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:02:29PM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> >
> >>All that said, when using an LTO drive, you may have hardware
> >>compression enabled anyway, because the hw compr algorithm in those
> >>drives does not expand uncompressable data.
> >

> >Maybe the amtapetype message should be revised to something like:
> >
> >   hardware compression off (or drive uses a dynamic compression algorithm)
> >

> Actually the message is still correct.
> amtapetype does detect if hw compr is enabled.
> And you would notice the effect if you wrote without software compression.
> The fact that the algorithm does not expand data is something else.

My misreading of your statement.  I missed the "when using an LTO drive"
and thought you meant hardware compression might have been on when
amtapetype was run but could have been fooled.

Sorry bout dat.
jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)