Amanda-Users

backup to Iomega REV

2005-02-04 19:54:35
Subject: backup to Iomega REV
From: Tom Simons <tom.simons AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:42:42 -0800
My original post "Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?  " was
answered affirmatively (thanks to all who responded!), but I'm still
unsure of how to proceed.  I have 2 servers:

  Amanda:  36gb-raid-1 (mirrored) -- RedHat AS 3.0 opsys, Amanda 2.4.4p4
                 72gb-raid-1 (mirrored) -- CVS repository, some user apps & data
                 33gb Iomega REV rdd

   other:      36gb-raid-1 (mirrored) -- RedHat AS 3.0 opsys
                 72gb-raid-1 (mirrored) -- most user apps & data

I'd like daily backups, so users could restore files/directories from
a few days past.  I'd like Amanda to use the Iomega REV cartridge as a
single tape, maybe filling it up slowly every day & sending me an
e-mail when it's full so I can load a new cartridge, or maybe making
full backups weekly. The full backup will eventually exceed 33 gb
(although Iomega claims 90gb using their Windows compression).  I'd
also like to keep the previous month's (or thereabout) full backup
cartridges off site.  This is roughly what we now have on our old
server, with NetBackup making 7 daily incremental bkps & 5 full weekly
bkps.

How do I  translate this to Amanda configurations?  Do I need to use
work disks at all?  Why would the REV cartridge have to be split into
multiple vtapes?