Amanda-Users

Re: amanda server and client

2005-02-01 17:05:27
Subject: Re: amanda server and client
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:58:36 -0500
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:48:37PM -0700, Jason Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 14:39, Nina Pham wrote:
> > I'd like to setup amanda server and client on some linux machines. are
> > they separate packages?
> >

> well , first download the package(s) from the amanda web page ... then
> count how many packages you downloaded , if there is more than one ...
> chances are they "are in separate packages";

Have a bad day Jason?

Nina,

Someone had written a webmin module for amanda, but it was a work-in-progress
when I last saw it.  Certainly none is part of the amanda distribution.

Many amanda users feel that a gui interface is not a benefit for a "set it
up and forget it" type of application like amanda.

As to packages, sounds like you are thinking rpm type packages.  I don't
how any particular linux distribution packages them.  If you build and
install from source (recommended here), the client pieces can be built
and installed separately.  Remember that the server is also a client
if it backs up itself.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)