Amanda-Users

Re: "Failed Queue"

2005-01-24 17:19:38
Subject: Re: "Failed Queue"
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Nick Danger <nick AT hackermonkey DOT com>, amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:03:00 -0600
--On Monday, January 24, 2005 15:56:11 -0500 Nick Danger <nick AT hackermonkey
DOT com> wrote:

> Paul Bijnens wrote:
>
>> Nick Danger wrote:
>>
>>> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>>>
>>> Did that and sure enough, there it was. Dump error on /dev/hda2. Why?
>>> Reiserfs is not dump-able? News to me. Argh!!
>>

>> Neither would be the subdirectory /etc in ext[23]...  Dump cannot
>> do subdirectories (some can, but then they cannot do incrementals);
>> use gnutar.
>>

> I have changed the disklist to do tar.
>
> tesla.hackermonkey.com          /etc            user-tar
>
> Only now I get the error
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   tesla.hack /usr lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
>

> Im assuming this is because I had tried, and failed, using dump before, and
> now I need to 'clean out' the database records? How do I reinitalize it back
> to 'this is the first backup you'll ever do' state?

To force a full, you can run:

amadmin config host DLE

but that may not help you.  Your error message said it tried
a level 0 and failed, and couldn't switch to an incremental
(probably since no previous level 0 existed).

Check the /tmp/amanda/debug* files on telsa, for more details,
but first look farther up in your report in the section called
"FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:" for the output from telsa.
That may contain enough info to not have to wade through the
debug files.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673