Amanda-Users

Re: DLT 8000 and tape type.

2005-01-20 07:28:17
Subject: Re: DLT 8000 and tape type.
From: "Gavin Henry" <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com>
To: "Neil Marjoram" <n.marjoram AT adastral.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:16:56 -0000 (GMT)
<quote who="Neil Marjoram">
> I have just completed a tapetype on my Storedge L9 with DLT 8000 again,
> and I'm a little confused.
>
> The DLT 8000 drive can take 80GB compressed, the results return 40GB.
> Amstatus shows that the amount of data stored on each tape is always
> less than 40G, the latest output from the status is :
>  tape 1        :  66  27906885k  25125884k ( 68.13%) AG3600
>  tape 2        :   1   9085868k   9327611k ( 22.18%) AG3602
>  tape 3        :   0         0k         0k (  0.00%) AG3598
>
> My question is two part,

Hi Neil,

First things first, we really need to see the dumptype definitions you are
using.

> a. how do I get amanda to backup 80GB to the
> DLT,

This is done two ways, having compression enabled in your dumptype
definition or having hardware compression enabled on your actual drive,
with compressin then being disabled in your dumptype definition.

> and secondly why is it that the second tape in a three part backup
> never holds as much data as the first tape?

Because that will probably be your incremental backup goes.

> The backup shown above is
> still running and currently saving to tape 3. Or am I barking up
> completly the wrong tree?
>
> define tapetype DLT-L9 {
> comment "DLT 8000 - Storedge L9"
> length 40000 mbytes
> filemark 22 kbytes
> speed 1770 kbytes
>
> I am using the chg-zd-mtx script to handle the autoloader, Fedora Core 2
> as my OS and Amanda version 2.4.4p2-3.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neil.

Thanks,