Amanda-Users

RE: Configuration clarification.

2005-01-19 14:35:20
Subject: RE: Configuration clarification.
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: James_Scheuerman AT brown DOT edu, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:57:07 -0600
Jim:

We have Amanda installed at /usr/local/amanda and /var/local/amanda on our
Tru64 systems here.  The key thing is that all the Amanda systems should use
a consistent "$prefix" so that managing the menagerie of systems does not
become a burden also.  This is especially important if you have systems that
you cannot physically touch on a convenient basis.  When you have to talk a
site administrator through a recovery or restart of a backup, it helps to
have all system paths be the same.

We have three Amanda servers for three sites (we don't want to make backups
across a WAN).  All systems, servers and clients, have /usr/local/amanda as
the home directory and base for their amanda installation.  The servers use
/var/local/amanda to hold configuration files and hosting directories for
the status and log files.   We use /amanda as the holding disk partitions
and have enough space in each holding disk for one tape's worth of data (40
GB).

The main idea we have tried to keep foremost in our mind is that the prime
virtues of a backup system are:
        simplicity
        consistency
        safety

Whatever you decide about your configuration is fine as long as you and your
associates (and especially your successors) can understand the configuration
and maintain it in the face of changing requirements and staff turnover.

Best wishes and good luck,

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology