Amanda-Users

Re: Level clarification.

2005-01-19 10:47:45
Subject: Re: Level clarification.
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:59:57 -0500
Erik,

Levels are doing to be explite in the "man dump" pages for your OS.

Amanda is a scheduler/driver that uses OS native tools for backups and
the actual meaning of levels will be OS specific - in general, level 0
is a complete backup of a 'partition' (see Amanda "DLE", originally a
partition but not necessarilly so since the ability to "dump" using
"tar"), level 1 are changes to the partition since the level 0 was
performed. A level 2 would be changes since the level 1 was performed.

Levels and strategies for using them are a whole mindset unto themselves.
See "Fibonacci series" for once such strategie.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:02:36AM +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Hi, a newbie question.
>
> I think I have now managed to customise amanda and I am pretty confident
> that I can now start taking back-ups of my system.
>
> One term that I thought I understood is the level set. Apparently level
> 0 is a full back-up and level 1 is incremental, but what then is level 2
> (and up)? If it's in the docs, please tell me where I can find it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org