Amanda-Users

Re: Level clarification.

2005-01-18 18:52:58
Subject: Re: Level clarification.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>, Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:44:07 -0600
--On Wednesday, January 19, 2005 00:02:36 +0100 "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo
DOT dk> wrote:

> Hi, a newbie question.
>
> I think I have now managed to customise amanda and I am pretty confident
> that I can now start taking back-ups of my system.
>
> One term that I thought I understood is the level set. Apparently level
> 0 is a full back-up and level 1 is incremental, but what then is level 2
> (and up)? If it's in the docs, please tell me where I can find it.

Level  Description
-----  -----------
0      a full backup (i.e., the entire filesystem or directory).
1      just the files that have changed since the last level 0
2      just the files that have changed since the last level 1
3      just the files that have changed since the last level 2

and so on through level 9, so levels 1-9 are all incrementals.

Using more levels generally makes for smaller backups, but at the
cost of needing to restore from more tapes (if you last backup was
a level 5, you would potentionally need to use 6 tapes to restore
it all [the level 0 plus each of levels 1-5]).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673