Amanda-Users

Re: Data loss if configuration of amanda.conf is not right.

2005-01-18 20:44:50
Subject: Re: Data loss if configuration of amanda.conf is not right.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:10:44 -0500
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:39:56AM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> I have set up an alternate amanda.conf to run with two tape drives
> instead of the one that I currently have. I am wondering whether there
> is some way to rerun an incremental backup if I run it and something in
> my new configuration is out of whack. Since there is stateful data
> involved which presumably would not be available after the backup ran,
> is there a way to get it back so that problem could be corrected and the
> backup rerun?

In trying to think of potential problems, I don't really come up with
any which would cause amanda to think it has had a successful run
when it failed unless some component was "lying" about its success;
e.g. a tape system saying it was accepting the data when the tape
was sitting there broken and spinning.  So I don't think the stateful
data would reflect a false situation.  Maybe you or someone else
would think of other scenarios than I've come up with.

Although amdump, which starts a backup, is normally run from a cron job,
there is no reason why you can't start it manually if the cron job fails.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)