Amanda-Users

Re: Meaning of "bump"

2005-01-15 05:47:00
Subject: Re: Meaning of "bump"
From: Kai Zimmer <kai AT zimmer DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:27:31 +0100
Hi Stefan, hi Erik,

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Hi, Erik,

on Freitag, 14. Jänner 2005 at 22:41 you wrote to amanda-users:

EPO> Hi,

EPO> I am running Fedora Core 3 which comes with amanda installed and I have
EPO> just started to set it up. In amanda.conf "bumpsize", "bumpmult" and
EPO> "bumpdays" should be specified. My problem is that I don't know exactly
EPO> what this "bump" and the associated "level" mean.

EPO> Would someone please explain these terms to me?

I don't want repeat my new mantra too often, as it might get worn out
too early ... :

Have you read the description of those parameters at
http://www.amanda.org/docs/amanda.8.html ?

If there are any questions left then, please let us know.

thanks very much for your work on the documentation. But i agree with Erik, that still the definition of the term "bump" is explained with "bump" - somehow recursive. My dictionary says it's something like an indentation, but that doesn't help newbies (like me) very much...

thanks,
Kai