Amanda-Users

Re: DLT tape streaming and amanda blocksize

2005-01-14 15:00:17
Subject: Re: DLT tape streaming and amanda blocksize
From: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:52:39 +0100
Dan Rich wrote:
I have a DLT IV drive that I cannot get to stream with amanda. With a little bit of experimentation, I have found that it will stream with tar if I set the block size to 128KB. However, amanda only seems to support block sizes of 32kb. The constant rewind/seek motion of the tape is rough on both the tape and the hardware (not to mention my ears if I'm still up when the backups kick off).

I seem to remember once upon a time that someone posted a patch that would allow amanda to run with larger block sizes. However, now that yahoo deletes older postings I can't find it in the archives any more.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Any ideas if changing this is even going to work on FreeBSD? (my original testing was on my old Linux server)

Have you tried to change the tapebufs value? Maybe it can help, I have this on my DDS-3

tapebufs 200
# A positive integer telling taper how many 32k buffers to allocate.
# WARNING! If this is set too high, taper will not be able to allocate
# the memory and will die.  The default is 20 (640k).

/Andreas