Amanda-Users

DLT tape streaming and amanda blocksize

2005-01-14 14:33:21
Subject: DLT tape streaming and amanda blocksize
From: Dan Rich <drich AT employees DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:23:19 -0800
I have a DLT IV drive that I cannot get to stream with amanda.  With a little
bit of experimentation, I have found that it will stream with tar if I set the
block size to 128KB.  However, amanda only seems to support block sizes of
32kb.  The constant rewind/seek motion of the tape is rough on both the tape
and the hardware (not to mention my ears if I'm still up when the backups kick
off).

I seem to remember once upon a time that someone posted a patch that would
allow amanda to run with larger block sizes.  However, now that yahoo deletes
older postings I can't find it in the archives any more.

Does anyone have a fix for this?  Any ideas if changing this is even going to
work on FreeBSD?  (my original testing was on my old Linux server)

--
Dan Rich <drich AT employees DOT org> |   http://www.employees.org/~drich/