Amanda-Users

Backup priorities and initialization of backup

2005-01-11 11:20:12
Subject: Backup priorities and initialization of backup
From: "Gil Naveh" <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:11:06 -0600

Hello, I am quit new with Amanda and I don’t understand an important concept regarding Amanda.

I realize that Amanda decides what type of backup to perform (level 0 , level 1 etc) according to its algorithm.

However, how does it knows which backup level to perform when a user have a tape drive with X different tapes that are manually changed?  Is there a file that tells Amanda which backups has been performed and if so what is this file name?

Finally, so far I have been changing the file disklist in order to check different backup scenarios. The file tapelist was automatically updated:

The new tapelist file looks like:

20041222 DailySet105 reuse

20041222 DailySet104 reuse etc…

At this point, I want to run the backup – which means I have to initialize all my experiments so far – any ideas on how to do so?

Which files do I have to modify in addition to the disklist file.

Thanks,

Gil