Amanda-Users

RE: Problem with Backup after changing hardware

2005-01-06 16:43:53
Subject: RE: Problem with Backup after changing hardware
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:18:11 -0600
Gene:

My experience with 'dd' on many UNIX platforms is that it generally tries
not
to make assumptions about block size ,and unless specified, will generally
take
whatever is the device default.  The value of the default will often
surprise you.

That being said, I have had my hands bitten by 'dd' enough in the past that
I ALWAYS specify a block size on any transfer using the tool.  Because of
the
need for 'dd' to get down and dirty with the tape hardware and the
undeniable
fact that many UNIX implementations handle the subtleties of device I/O
differently, it is almost always a good idea to make sure your commands know

exactly what you want done.  Block size is a prime example.

'dd' is one of the original, old-school UNIX commands and make a good
illustration of why UNIX is like an experienced craftsman's tool:

        A consumer-grade tool is like a ShopSmith (a 1950's era hobbyist
tool),
        with lots of bells and whistles, and lots of shields and guards to
keep
        the casual user's fingers out of the dangerous areas and away from
sharp
        edges (and keep the plaintiff's lawyers out of the vendors pockets).

        A UNIX system is like a blacksmith's shop.  The tools ALL have sharp

        edges and are dangerous for the inexperienced user to be around.  An

        apprentice is expected to be supervised by a master until the master

        is sure that the apprentice will not cut off something vital.
        The master is expected to know what works and what does not and
        where to safely make short-cuts.  The master generally has several
old
        scars that demonstrate gaining that knowledge.

        UNIX has gotten somewhat away from its original roots, where the
        standard failure response from a command was to print '?' on the
        command line.

There is still room for improvement.

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology