Amanda-Users

amcheck hang

2005-01-06 09:29:54
Subject: amcheck hang
From: "Dan Tomlinson" <dan AT azuro DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:19:42 -0000

Hi all,

amanda has been failing during my nightly dumps:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
   mymachine    /var/lib/mysql/ lev 0 FAILED [mymachine NAK: amandad busy]

Trawled newsgroups for answers and it appears that this particular error can be caused by amandad processes hanging around after a failed amanda operation. Did a quick "ps -ef | grep amanda" and saw there were "amandad" and "..amanda/selfcheck" processes active. Tried to kill them, but only the amandad would die :o( Eventually managed to kill the selfcheck with a kill -9

I labeled up another new tape to attempt to manually continue the dumpcycle, and ran an "amcheck" after labelling, only to have it fail to finish. Another "ps -ef | grep amanda" found that there was now a new selfcheck process and a new amandad.

So the problem seems to be that the selfcheck process is hanging during amcheck execution and preventing the dump from finishing.  As to how to solve it? Various in the mailing lists suggest rebooting machine but a) this is inconvienient to say the least, and b) how do I know this wont just happen again next time amanda runs...

I am using amanda version 2.4.2p2 on debian with a 2.4 kernel, any ideas?  Do we need to upgrade our amanda?

Many thanks in advance

Dan T