Amanda-Users

Re: Is it possible: using ftp share as holding disk/diskbackup ?

2005-01-05 04:30:58
Subject: Re: Is it possible: using ftp share as holding disk/diskbackup ?
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: Vlad.Popa AT sbg.ac DOT at, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:21:36 +0100
Vlad.Popa AT sbg.ac DOT at wrote:

Hi everybody!

We have recently rented a root server in germany and installed debian sarge on it. A ftp share as large as the install HD is included in the server package accessable authenticated.

My question is: Is it possible at the time now to write the amanda backup directly onto the ftp share (AKA as holding disk)? Are there any options (usermount programs) to mount the ftp share as a "virtual" holding disk and has this whole procedure ever been executed successfully and documented?

Have you looked into http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
?

Of course, you'd need rsync + ssh + real filesystem (with symlinks) on the other end (I'm currently just doing a crontabbed rsync to a remote machine, which can sit at home if you have broadband -- it's downstream, not upstream the limit here).

I'd like  to use this kind of  "tapes"...

Greeting from Austria

Vlad Popa