Amanda-Users

Re: level insensitivity for iso images

2005-01-04 08:18:21
Subject: Re: level insensitivity for iso images
From: Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:01:10 -0500
Gene,

> I'm noting this in the email reports amanda sends me, where it doesn't
> make any diff what the runlevel is, its backing up the whole iso
> image for all levels.

[...]

> coyote  -sc/FC3/FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso  1    563    563   --    3:1
> 3005.2   2:3  3787.3

[...]

Am I interpreting this correctly: you have individual files listed in
the disklist? If so, I'm not sure how else GNUtar could respond.  A
level 1 backup of an individual file doesn't make much sense to me.

Reading between the lines of the incremental archive format
description in the GNUtar info pages, it seems to me that the
incremental options to GNUtar are likely to depend on having a
directory entry in the tar file.

I would expect that you might see small incrementals if you specified
the FC3 directory in the disklist rather than the individual files
themselves.

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
Security Analyst, Identity and Access Management