Amanda-Users

Re: re-labelling or duplicating a tape?

2005-01-03 12:45:38
Subject: Re: re-labelling or duplicating a tape?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:35:05 -0500
On Monday 03 January 2005 11:50, pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote:
>In a message dated: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:03:47 +0100
>
>Gerhard den Hollander said:
>>* pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com> (Mon, Jan
>>03,
>> 2005 at 10:3 6:51AM -0500)
>>
>>> Is there an easy way to change the amanda label of a tape that's
>>> been written to?  Short of that, is there an easy way to recover
>>> the contents of the tape in amdump form, then re-label the tape
>>> and use amflush to get the contents on the newly/properly
>>> labelled tape?
>>
>>yes there is,
>>but why would you want to do that ?
>>
>>Amanda will still think that tape with the old (now overwritten )
>> label is the one that has the data on it.
>>so if you relabel the tape, amanda doesn;t know anything about it
>> anymore at all ..
>
>I mis-labelled a tape.  This tape is never really used in a
> sequence, it's strictly an archival tape that gets put in off-site
> storage indefinitely.  I want to remove the tape entirely from
> amanda's knowledge.

Relabeling the tape will destroy all of amandas knowledge of whats on
that tape.  What you want to do I'd think, is to mark it 'no-reuse'
in amanda's database.  That will not destroy the info, and the tape
could then be brought back onsite and read quite some time later.

Amanda will then skip over that label and use the next one in the
order in which they were labeled sequence.  The only one the least
bit upset by this might be you because your very carefully labeled
tape for Tuesday will now be used on Monday, and amanda won't let you
make another Tuesday tape.  It seems like everybody has to try it at
least once though. :-)  Most of us just enumerate the number on the
label and ignore the day of the week.  Its far less headache in the
long run to just let amanda handle it as amanda is quite competant to
do so.

>If I could just change the label name, and somehow update amanda's
> database, that would be fine.  I suspect, however, that it's easier
> to just restore the tape to disk and flush to "the next new tape"
> and amrmtape the mislabelled one.  But I'm not sure how to restore
> the tape to chunks that amflush will recognize.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: