Amanda-Users

Re: re-labelling or duplicating a tape?

2005-01-03 11:59:53
Subject: Re: re-labelling or duplicating a tape?
From: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
To: Gerhard den Hollander <gdenhollander AT fugro-jason DOT com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:50:27 -0500
In a message dated: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:03:47 +0100
Gerhard den Hollander said:

>* pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com> (Mon, Jan
>03, 2005 at 10:3
>6:51AM -0500)
>
>> Is there an easy way to change the amanda label of a tape that's been
>> written to?  Short of that, is there an easy way to recover the
>> contents of the tape in amdump form, then re-label the tape and use
>> amflush to get the contents on the newly/properly labelled tape?
>
>yes there is,
>but why would you want to do that ?
>
>Amanda will still think that tape with the old (now overwritten ) label is
>the one that has the data on it.
>so if you relabel the tape, amanda doesn;t know anything about it anymore
>at all ..

I mis-labelled a tape.  This tape is never really used in a sequence,
it's strictly an archival tape that gets put in off-site storage
indefinitely.  I want to remove the tape entirely from amanda's
knowledge.

If I could just change the label name, and somehow update amanda's database,
that would be fine.  I suspect, however, that it's easier to just
restore the tape to disk and flush to "the next new tape" and
amrmtape the mislabelled one.  But I'm not sure how to restore the
tape to chunks that amflush will recognize.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE