Amanda-Users

Re: Client failure problem -part answer

2004-12-18 05:09:14
Subject: Re: Client failure problem -part answer
From: Keith Matthews <amanda AT frequentous.co DOT uk>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:01:41 +0000
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:17:30 +0000
Keith Matthews <amanda AT frequentous.co DOT uk> wrote:

> In the light of messages just posted I'll report this in case it
> didn't get out. Apologies to those who got it first time, I don't like
> those who assume that no answer simply maans people don't want to
> answer either.
>
> I'm having trouble getting a remote backup to work.
>
> The report states that the disk backup failed due to a timeout.
> Examination of /var/log/messages at the client shows that amandad
> exited'status 1' but gives no other indication of the cause of the
> problem. This is happening with all disks on that client.
>
> The failure seems to happen immediately (I was trying to check the
> user that amandad was running under and the process did not last long
> enough to show).
>
> There do not seem to be any logs on the client to give more
> information and I was wondering if there is some sort of debug setting
> I could invoke.
>
> It ran correctly for a test about two weeks ago but has since
> consistently failed as above. Backups of the tape server host work
> correctly.
>
> Server is Slackware 10, client OpenBSD 3.5 if that makes a difference.
>
> Anyone got a clue how I can find out what the client is objecting to ?

OK. for the assistance of anyone who uses the archives I've found a set
of files in /tmp/amanda which give some information.

One is saying

amandad:        UNCOMPRESS_OPT="-dc"
got packet:
--------
Amanda 2.4 REQ HANDLE 000-E0750608 SEQ 1103362411
SECURITY USER amanda
SERVICE noop
OPTIONS features=fffffeff9ffe0f;
--------

sending nack:
----
Amanda 2.4 NAK HANDLE 000-E0750608 SEQ 1103362411
ERROR unknown service: noop
----

If I can work out what has changed between the original run and these
later ones that could have caused that I'll be able to fix it.