Amanda-Users

Client failure problem

2004-12-18 04:34:12
Subject: Client failure problem
From: Keith Matthews <amanda AT frequentous.co DOT uk>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:17:30 +0000
In the light of messages just posted I'll report this in case it didn't
get out. Apologies to those who got it first time, I don't like those
who assume that no answer simply maans people don't want to answer either.

I'm having trouble getting a remote backup to work.

The report states that the disk backup failed due to a timeout.
Examination of /var/log/messages at the client shows that amandad exited
'status 1' but gives no other indication of the cause of the problem.
This is happening with all disks on that client.

The failure seems to happen immediately (I was trying to check the user
that amandad was running under and the process did not last long enough
to show).

There do not seem to be any logs on the client to give more information
and I was wondering if there is some sort of debug setting I could
invoke.

It ran correctly for a test about two weeks ago but has since
consistently failed as above. Backups of the tape server host work
correctly.

Server is Slackware 10, client OpenBSD 3.5 if that makes a difference.

Anyone got a clue how I can find out what the client is objecting to ?